Slider Section

Submenu Section

Kim Walker

Friday, April 4, 2014

This week I had the pleasure of sitting down for coffee with Kim Walker who has been a musical force here in the Triangle for almost thirty years on and off. Kim has been in several bands and she has experienced tons of shows, as a fan, at venues all around NC.

Describe the music scene in the Triangle? I would say the music scene is diverse and abundant.
There are so many shows. Every night there are at least two shows that I would love to see.

What is your favorite venue in the Triangle to see a show? Pinhook. I live in Durham and Pinhook is close and convenient.
I really like everything about Pinhook it is the perfect middle ground between the cave and the cradle.

How would you describe the vibe at Pinhook? Professional but casual. Easy-going. I like that the Pinhook is a good size.

I know you have been playing music in the Triangle for a while...What has your history been? Well, when I was in undergrad at NC State I was in a band called Shiny Beast which I joined in '91. Then I traveled around did other things and came back to NC and moved to Greensboro where I joined another band. Now I'm in Durham and I've been playing with the band Horizontal Hold for about a year and a half. There are four of us in the band now and I play the bass.

Do you have a memory of an awesome music moment or experience in the NC?
Well there was this memory I had of a venue in Greensboro called, The Onion Seller which was like a total fire hazard, totally terrifying, completely illegal. It was a tiny "old school" store. Everybody kinda joked that if anyone ever needed to get out once we got in we wouldn't have been able to. They had tons of shows there. The place was a dump...but it was GREAT. Totally illegally. They got shut down a lot but they kept it going...I just love the ingenuity of Greensboro. They say screw it we are having a shows and people figure it out. I love that Greensboro it's so accepting of music. You can be so much wack-ier and crap-ier as an artist in Greensboro and people are so much more amenable to that.

Horizontal Hold has been working on some new music so be sure to check them out at one of their next shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Most Reading