Slider Section

Submenu Section

Show Review: THE ZOMBIES

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Since I expressed a great deal excitement in a recent blog post about The Zombies coming to town, I feel as though the last I can do it tell you all about the show. These guys were apart of the infamous British invasion in the mid-sixties, and in my opinion, we're right behind The Beatles when it came to writing beautiful melodies and lyrics. As stated in an article from NPR, the band broke up right before the release of their second album in 1968. You can hear about how the two main guys in the band, Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone, reunited after 30 years of being broken up in this video.

I went to the show at Cat's Cradle on April 18th with my dad (he introduced me to The Zombies as a kid), and both of our expectations were exceeded. A large part of what made the show so special was the appreciative audience. It was so clear that everyone there had such an enormous amount of respect for Argent and Blunstone, and the energy resonated extremely well with the band members. They delivered a beautiful performance, accompanied by stories from the band's glory years in the 60's and their lives afterwords. They really connected with the audience and made it a special experience.




They played a fabulous mixture of their big hits, as well as solo music they had been doing over the years. They played a couple songs from Rod Argent's post-Zombie band, Argent. And let me tell you...they sounded amazing. I was blown away by Blunstone's voice - it sounded just as crisp as it ever has. It was unbelievably impressive. Argent absolutely killed it on the keyboard, which helps define the band's signature sound. It was also incredible because of how excited they were to perform. After all these years, you can tell how passionate these guys are about their music and performing.
Pitchfork acknowledges the group's "unique brand of lyric and wit and daring arrangement" and notes that The Zombies "expanded the limits of pop." If you haven't acquainted yourself with this iconic group, I suggest you start with their biggest US hits: "She's Not There," "Tell Her No," and "Time of the Season." I don't know how much longer these guys will be touring, but if you have the opportunity to see them, I strongly suggest you jump at the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Most Reading